Connect with us

Entertainment

Sooraj Barjatya: My cinema is an aspirational take on my real-life experiences

Published

on

Sooraj-Barjatya-1200by667.jpg



He made his directorial debut, young romance Maine Pyaar Kiya, right after graduating from college and since then filmmaker Sooraj Barjatya says all his films have been a reflection of his real life.

Advertisement
With Hum Aapke Hain Koun..! and Vivah, he explored marriage in different eras. He presented a nuanced take on broken relationships when he made a film like Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, several years after directing the idealistic family drama Hum Saath Saath Hain.

“When I did Maine Pyaar Kiya, I was out of college, 21 or 22 years of age and then got married and had two kids and you learn the value of friendship and you make Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!.

Advertisement

“And then you lose a mother and you make Hum Saath Saath Hain, when you realise the value of marriage you make Vivah and then with Prem Ratan Dhan Payo you realise that every family has problems, you cannot deny (it),” Sooraj, 57, said.

Every director draws inspiration from the kind of life they have lived and he is no different, the filmmaker said.

Advertisement

“We always borrow from life. Creation comes from your own experiences. What I show in films is somewhat similar to my life but we show it in an aspirational way,” he added.

Sooraj Barjatya’s upcoming release Uunchai, from a script penned by Sunil Gandhi, stems from the current chapter of his life. The Hindi movie revolves around three friends, played by Amitabh Bachchan, Boman Irani, and Anupam Kher, who go on a trek to Mount Everest base camp to fulfil their buddy Danny Denzongpa’s last wish.

Advertisement

A father of three, Barjatya said since the definition of family and togetherness has evolved, it is important for his cinema to keep up with the times.

“Now family is all about allowing space to children, as parents we expect (something) from children but we should have something for ourselves to do.

Advertisement

“We have this film about 65 plus people, who take this trek to challenge themselves. They are leaving behind all the comfort. So, everything has been part of my life,” the director, who grew up in a Marwari film family, said.

With the boom of OTT medium and exposure to global cinema, the grammar of storytelling has undergone a sea of change more so in the past two years. But for Sooraj Barjatya, rather than staying “relevant” in the film business, it is all about being honest to his calling.

“The moment I try to be relevant that will be my end. You need to be yourself, follow what you do as you will get your own audience. There is an audience for every genre and I know I am there for that genre (family dramas) and I am happy there. If I try to be relevant, I will be fake,” he added.

Advertisement

During the pandemic, Barjatya said he decided to challenge himself as a director with Unnchai, which unlike his previous films was shot at real locations across Delhi and parts of Nepal.

“I have never done this much outdoor, like going to 13,000 ft… You fall in love with all these visuals,” he said.

Advertisement

The director is grateful for his cast and crew, who trusted his vision, and followed him to the rough Himalayan terrain.

“We took all the (precautions) because the actors are aged but their motivation is amazing and they are ready to do their work,” he said.

Advertisement

Unnchai is scheduled to be released on November 11. Actors Neena Gupta, Sarika and Parineeti Chopra round out the cast of Unnchai.



Source link

Advertisement

Advertisement

Entertainment

Bad Bunny sued for $40M by ex-girlfriend over song sample – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

GettyImages-1412405003.jpg


Advertisement
Fans are already familiar with the artist’s breathy tagline, “Bad Bunny, baby” — but the Puerto Rican rapper is now being sued for at least US$40 million by his ex-girlfriend, who claims he used the recording of her voice without permission.


Carliz De La Cruz Hernández said she recorded the audio for Bad Bunny, whose real name is Benito Martínez Ocasio, before he skyrocketed to international fame, as per a new lawsuit filed in a Puerto Rico court. She alleged she invented the phrase.

Read more:

Bruce Willis’ wife shares tearful message about grief on actor’s 68th birthday

Advertisement

The lawsuit, which was first reported by the Puerto Rico news website NotiCel, claimed the unauthorized recording is used in the 29-year-old singer’s songs, Pa Ti from 2017 and Dos Mil 16, which is featured on the Grammy-winning album Un Verano Sin Ti. The tracks have been streamed on Spotify at least 235 million times each.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

As per the lawsuit, De La Cruz claimed her “Bad Bunny, baby” audio has been used for numerous promotions, worldwide concerts, television, radio and social appearances.

Advertisement

Due to her “distinguishable voice,” De La Cruz said she’s been barraged with messages and comments about the unauthorized recording.

“Since then, thousands of people have commented directly on Carliz’s social media networks, as well as every time she goes to a public place, about the ‘Bad Bunny, baby.’ This has caused, and currently causes, that De La Cruz feels worried, anguished, intimidated, overwhelmed and anxious,” reads the lawsuit.

Advertisement

Read more:

Rupert Murdoch, 92, to marry for the 5th time: ‘I knew this would be my last’

Story continues below advertisement
Advertisement

De La Cruz is also suing Martínez’s manager, Noah Kamil Assad Byrne.

Neither Martínez nor Assad has commented publicly on the lawsuit.

Advertisement

In the legal filing, De La Cruz claimed a representative for the reggaetón singer contacted her in May 2022, shortly before Un Verano Sin Ti was released. She said the representative offered her $2,000 for the voice recording. At this point, the “Bad Bunny, baby,” audio had already been used in 2017’s Pa Ti. 

Advertisement

De La Cruz allegedly declined the payment on the grounds that she was apparently not comfortable with her voice being featured. She said the song was published anyway without her consent.

“Since de la Cruz made it clear that she did not consent to its use, its publication constituted an act of gross negligence, bad faith, and, worse still, an attack on their privacy, morals, and dignity since all parties had and still have knowledge of these facts and even so decided to be reckless and break the law,” the filing reads.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Read more:

Gwyneth Paltrow to take the stand in $300K ski crash lawsuit 

The lawsuit outlines the relationship between De La Cruz and Martínez, who apparently started dating in 2011, before he was signed to the label Rimas Entertainment. At the time, De La Cruz claimed she was responsible for managing her artist boyfriend’s invoices, contracts and scheduling.

Advertisement

She said she recorded the “Bad Bunny, baby” audio in the bathroom of a party in 2015, as it was the quietest room available at the time.

The pair ended their relationship in 2017, a year after Martínez asked to marry De La Cruz.

Advertisement

In February, Martínez won a Grammy for Best Música Urbana Album for Un Verano Sin Ti. The album was also nominated for the coveted Album of the Year award but lost out to Harry’s House by Harry Styles.


Click to play video: 'Grammys 2023: Ontario grandma and Harry Styles superfan steals the show'


Grammys 2023: Ontario grandma and Harry Styles superfan steals the show

Advertisement


Advertisement

With files from The Associated Press 

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Gwyneth Paltrow to take the stand in $300K ski crash lawsuit  – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

GettyImages-1197778966.jpg


Advertisement

Advertisement
Actor and entrepreneur Gwyneth Paltrow will appear in court next week to testify in a civil case filed by a retired optometrist claiming she caused him serious injury in a 2016 ski accident, as per numerous reports.


Terry Sanderson has accused Paltrow, 50, of negligence and is suing for US$300,000 (about $410,000). He alleged the Goop founder collided with him while skiing at Deer Valley Resort in Park City, Utah, “knocking him down hard, knocking him out.”

Read more:

Gwyneth Paltrow faces backlash over her restrictive food habits: ‘It’s not wellness’

Advertisement

In the complaint filed in 2019, Sanderson, 76, said the accident left him with “permanent traumatic brain injury, 4 broken ribs, pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life.” He maintains that Paltrow left him collapsed on the slope and skied away.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

In a counterclaim, Paltrow said Sanderson skied into her in a “full body hit,” giving her minor injuries that prevented her from skiing the next day. She claims he apologized to her after the accident.

Advertisement

Paltrow said she only left the scene of the accident after a Deer Valley Resort employee gave confirmation she could depart.

She also alleged Sanderson has said before that he does not have a clear memory of the accident.

Advertisement

In 2019, Sanderson classified the accident as a hit-and-run but that was later struck down by a judge. Any mention of incidences after the collision — including an allegation from Sanderson that a resort employee who did not witness the crash skied off and accused Sanderson of being responsible for the accident — were also disallowed.


Click to play video: 'Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘The Goop Lab’: Fact-checking the health claims'


Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘The Goop Lab’: Fact-checking the health claims


Advertisement

Read more:

Bruce Willis’ wife shares tearful message about grief on actor’s 68th birthday

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement

Sanderson’s original lawsuit sought $3.1 million in damages.

Advertisement

In her counterclaim, Paltrow is seeking only $1 in damages (a symbolic gesture), and capital for her lawyer’s fees.

The trial is set to begin on March 21 in Utah. To win the civil suit, Sanderson must demonstrate the burden of proof and prove his injuries were directly caused by the ski collision.

Advertisement

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Fans petition for Pedro Pascal to be 2023 Calgary Stampede parade marshal | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

20230314090312-641072acb853773905e4a486jpeg.jpg


Advertisement

Advertisement
An online petition is hoping to see one of the stars of The Last of Us named the 2023 Calgary Stampede parade marshal.


A Change.org petition wants Pedro Pascal, who plays Joel in the TV show, to lead the charge.

The parade marshal is usually announced at the end of May or early June.

Advertisement

Read more:

‘The Last of Us’: All the Alberta locations that got a dramatic makeover

Pascal spent time in Calgary and across the province filming the hit Crave series, including the Alberta legislature, the Bow River, the Ranchland Inn in Nanton, the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), Canmore Engine Bridge and Waterton Lakes National Park.

Advertisement

Click to play video: 'Travel Alberta sharing The Last of Us locations online'


Travel Alberta sharing The Last of Us locations online


Advertisement

In fact, in episode 1, When You’re Lost in the Darkness, Calgary’s downtown is used as a stand-in for Boston, and a specially designed set situated in the industrial area behind the Calgary Stampede grounds serves at the show’s Boston Quarantine Zone (QZ.)

Advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

Pascal has also spoken about his love for Alberta, like exploring the mountains and seeing the northern lights.

Advertisement

Click to play video: '‘The Last of Us’ premiere draws excitement, momentum for Alberta film industry'


‘The Last of Us’ premiere draws excitement, momentum for Alberta film industry


Advertisement

As of 8 a.m. Monday, March 20, the petition had about 4,700 names.

Advertisement

Read more:

Academy Award winning actor Kevin Costner named 2022 Calgary Stampede parade marshal

Advertisement

Actor Kevin Costner was parade marshal in 2022.


Click to play video: 'Calgary Heritage Buildings featured in HBO’s The Last of Us'


Calgary Heritage Buildings featured in HBO’s The Last of Us

Advertisement


Advertisement

 

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending