Connect with us

Entertainment

Montreal-born Adrien Morot on winning an Oscar with ‘The Whale’ star Brendan Fraser | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

Adrien-morot.jpg


Advertisement
Adrien Morot, the Montreal-born makeup artist on The Whale, says his first Oscar wouldn’t mean as much if his friend Brendan Fraser didn’t come away with some hardware of his own.


“If I would have won and Brendan didn’t, in some ways, I would have felt like I failed the movie,” said Morot on Tuesday, speaking from his Los Angeles studio after painting a pair of prosthetic hands and feet for another project.

“The makeup would have become a technicality — this is a movie with heart and it’s a movie about the performances of all the actors, the great direction of Darren Aronofsky, and sharing the Oscar with Brendan means the world.”

Advertisement

Morot won best makeup and hairstyling at the Academy Awards ceremony Sunday night for his work on The Whale, alongside makeup artist Judy Chin and hairstylist Annemarie Bradley.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Read more:

Quebec’s Adrien Morot snags Oscar nomination for his work on ‘The Whale’

Meanwhile Fraser, who was born in the U.S. to Canadian parents, earned a best actor win for his turn as Charlie, a reclusive and morbidly obese English teacher who attempts to reconnect with his estranged daughter.

Advertisement

To create the character’s appearance, the prosthetics team glued several thick pieces of silicone onto Fraser’s face and body, before applying makeup.

While The Whale has received awards attention, the film has also been criticized for the decision to put Fraser in a fat suit, as well as its depiction of Charlie and his weight, which some critics have called fatphobic.

Advertisement

Morot acknowledged the complaints, saying that while he anticipated the negative reaction during production, as a professional with decades of experience he was only driven by his mission.

“I don’t have a political agenda at all. The only thing I want to do is do my work to the best of my abilities and fulfil the requirements of me that are asked,” said Morot.

Advertisement

He’s also proud of the fact that his makeup and prosthetics work resonated with the Academy and audiences because it performed the function it was meant to carry out.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Read more:

Toronto-born Sarah Polley on ‘Women Talking’ and the Oscar she didn’t expect to win

“The makeup did its job in depicting the emotional character that needed to be on screen, but it didn’t steal the show and allowed Brendan to shine through the pieces of rubber that were glued on his face,” said Morot. “My goal when I create the character makeup is to provide a tool for Brendan to portray Charlie the way he wanted without restrictions.”

Advertisement

Morot referred to the process of prosthetics design as “super demanding” but necessary to help the actor get into the mindset of the character. Morot also wanted to recognize two other members of the team — Kathy Tse and Chris Gallaher, who weren’t on the Oscar ticket but assisted him with the application.

Although cosmetic computer-generated effects in film are sought after and capable of transforming the way actors appear on screen, Morot said in this case wearing the suit helped Fraser understand how Charlie moves and feels.

“Yes, it might be easier for an actor to not have to wake up at two in the morning to come to the movie set and apply makeup, but they also won’t have the tools to create the performance,” said Morot. “You wouldn’t get that with special effects and that’s just a truth there.”

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement

For example, Morot said, earlier in the filming process Fraser was given a lightweight version of the suit compared to a heavier version designed to be 250 pounds, but chose the heavier design to help him understand Charlie better.

Advertisement

“Aronofsky asked me to create a design that was not only authentic in terms of looks but he also said, `I want you to help Brendan with his performance,”’ said Morot. “That’s when we created something to the weight of a real person of that size.

“I’ve been doing this job for over 30 years and I’m truly a stoic guy and unemotional on set, but twice, on that movie set, I had tears in my eyes watching Brendan act,” said Morot. “He truly owned that job.”

Advertisement

The Whale is Morot’s fifth collaboration with Aronofsky following Mother!, Noah,The Fountain, and White Boy Rick.

Advertisement

&copy 2023 The Canadian Press





Source link

Advertisement

Advertisement

Entertainment

Bad Bunny sued for $40M by ex-girlfriend over song sample – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

GettyImages-1412405003.jpg


Advertisement
Fans are already familiar with the artist’s breathy tagline, “Bad Bunny, baby” — but the Puerto Rican rapper is now being sued for at least US$40 million by his ex-girlfriend, who claims he used the recording of her voice without permission.


Carliz De La Cruz Hernández said she recorded the audio for Bad Bunny, whose real name is Benito Martínez Ocasio, before he skyrocketed to international fame, as per a new lawsuit filed in a Puerto Rico court. She alleged she invented the phrase.

Read more:

Bruce Willis’ wife shares tearful message about grief on actor’s 68th birthday

Advertisement

The lawsuit, which was first reported by the Puerto Rico news website NotiCel, claimed the unauthorized recording is used in the 29-year-old singer’s songs, Pa Ti from 2017 and Dos Mil 16, which is featured on the Grammy-winning album Un Verano Sin Ti. The tracks have been streamed on Spotify at least 235 million times each.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

As per the lawsuit, De La Cruz claimed her “Bad Bunny, baby” audio has been used for numerous promotions, worldwide concerts, television, radio and social appearances.

Advertisement

Due to her “distinguishable voice,” De La Cruz said she’s been barraged with messages and comments about the unauthorized recording.

“Since then, thousands of people have commented directly on Carliz’s social media networks, as well as every time she goes to a public place, about the ‘Bad Bunny, baby.’ This has caused, and currently causes, that De La Cruz feels worried, anguished, intimidated, overwhelmed and anxious,” reads the lawsuit.

Advertisement

Read more:

Rupert Murdoch, 92, to marry for the 5th time: ‘I knew this would be my last’

Story continues below advertisement
Advertisement

De La Cruz is also suing Martínez’s manager, Noah Kamil Assad Byrne.

Neither Martínez nor Assad has commented publicly on the lawsuit.

Advertisement

In the legal filing, De La Cruz claimed a representative for the reggaetón singer contacted her in May 2022, shortly before Un Verano Sin Ti was released. She said the representative offered her $2,000 for the voice recording. At this point, the “Bad Bunny, baby,” audio had already been used in 2017’s Pa Ti. 

Advertisement

De La Cruz allegedly declined the payment on the grounds that she was apparently not comfortable with her voice being featured. She said the song was published anyway without her consent.

“Since de la Cruz made it clear that she did not consent to its use, its publication constituted an act of gross negligence, bad faith, and, worse still, an attack on their privacy, morals, and dignity since all parties had and still have knowledge of these facts and even so decided to be reckless and break the law,” the filing reads.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Read more:

Gwyneth Paltrow to take the stand in $300K ski crash lawsuit 

The lawsuit outlines the relationship between De La Cruz and Martínez, who apparently started dating in 2011, before he was signed to the label Rimas Entertainment. At the time, De La Cruz claimed she was responsible for managing her artist boyfriend’s invoices, contracts and scheduling.

Advertisement

She said she recorded the “Bad Bunny, baby” audio in the bathroom of a party in 2015, as it was the quietest room available at the time.

The pair ended their relationship in 2017, a year after Martínez asked to marry De La Cruz.

Advertisement

In February, Martínez won a Grammy for Best Música Urbana Album for Un Verano Sin Ti. The album was also nominated for the coveted Album of the Year award but lost out to Harry’s House by Harry Styles.


Click to play video: 'Grammys 2023: Ontario grandma and Harry Styles superfan steals the show'


Grammys 2023: Ontario grandma and Harry Styles superfan steals the show

Advertisement


Advertisement

With files from The Associated Press 

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Gwyneth Paltrow to take the stand in $300K ski crash lawsuit  – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

GettyImages-1197778966.jpg


Advertisement

Advertisement
Actor and entrepreneur Gwyneth Paltrow will appear in court next week to testify in a civil case filed by a retired optometrist claiming she caused him serious injury in a 2016 ski accident, as per numerous reports.


Terry Sanderson has accused Paltrow, 50, of negligence and is suing for US$300,000 (about $410,000). He alleged the Goop founder collided with him while skiing at Deer Valley Resort in Park City, Utah, “knocking him down hard, knocking him out.”

Read more:

Gwyneth Paltrow faces backlash over her restrictive food habits: ‘It’s not wellness’

Advertisement

In the complaint filed in 2019, Sanderson, 76, said the accident left him with “permanent traumatic brain injury, 4 broken ribs, pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life.” He maintains that Paltrow left him collapsed on the slope and skied away.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

In a counterclaim, Paltrow said Sanderson skied into her in a “full body hit,” giving her minor injuries that prevented her from skiing the next day. She claims he apologized to her after the accident.

Advertisement

Paltrow said she only left the scene of the accident after a Deer Valley Resort employee gave confirmation she could depart.

She also alleged Sanderson has said before that he does not have a clear memory of the accident.

Advertisement

In 2019, Sanderson classified the accident as a hit-and-run but that was later struck down by a judge. Any mention of incidences after the collision — including an allegation from Sanderson that a resort employee who did not witness the crash skied off and accused Sanderson of being responsible for the accident — were also disallowed.


Click to play video: 'Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘The Goop Lab’: Fact-checking the health claims'


Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘The Goop Lab’: Fact-checking the health claims


Advertisement

Read more:

Bruce Willis’ wife shares tearful message about grief on actor’s 68th birthday

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement

Sanderson’s original lawsuit sought $3.1 million in damages.

Advertisement

In her counterclaim, Paltrow is seeking only $1 in damages (a symbolic gesture), and capital for her lawyer’s fees.

The trial is set to begin on March 21 in Utah. To win the civil suit, Sanderson must demonstrate the burden of proof and prove his injuries were directly caused by the ski collision.

Advertisement

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Fans petition for Pedro Pascal to be 2023 Calgary Stampede parade marshal | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

20230314090312-641072acb853773905e4a486jpeg.jpg


Advertisement

Advertisement
An online petition is hoping to see one of the stars of The Last of Us named the 2023 Calgary Stampede parade marshal.


A Change.org petition wants Pedro Pascal, who plays Joel in the TV show, to lead the charge.

The parade marshal is usually announced at the end of May or early June.

Advertisement

Read more:

‘The Last of Us’: All the Alberta locations that got a dramatic makeover

Pascal spent time in Calgary and across the province filming the hit Crave series, including the Alberta legislature, the Bow River, the Ranchland Inn in Nanton, the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), Canmore Engine Bridge and Waterton Lakes National Park.

Advertisement

Click to play video: 'Travel Alberta sharing The Last of Us locations online'


Travel Alberta sharing The Last of Us locations online


Advertisement

In fact, in episode 1, When You’re Lost in the Darkness, Calgary’s downtown is used as a stand-in for Boston, and a specially designed set situated in the industrial area behind the Calgary Stampede grounds serves at the show’s Boston Quarantine Zone (QZ.)

Advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

Pascal has also spoken about his love for Alberta, like exploring the mountains and seeing the northern lights.

Advertisement

Click to play video: '‘The Last of Us’ premiere draws excitement, momentum for Alberta film industry'


‘The Last of Us’ premiere draws excitement, momentum for Alberta film industry


Advertisement

As of 8 a.m. Monday, March 20, the petition had about 4,700 names.

Advertisement

Read more:

Academy Award winning actor Kevin Costner named 2022 Calgary Stampede parade marshal

Advertisement

Actor Kevin Costner was parade marshal in 2022.


Click to play video: 'Calgary Heritage Buildings featured in HBO’s The Last of Us'


Calgary Heritage Buildings featured in HBO’s The Last of Us

Advertisement


Advertisement

 

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending