Connect with us

Entertainment

Bill Cosby sued by 5 women in new sexual assault lawsuit – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

20220531140544-629662bcd287403399e5ebe6jpeg-2.jpg


Actor Bill Cosby is facing new sexual assault and battery accusations after five women filed a lawsuit Monday under New York’s new Adult Survivors Act.


Two actors who worked on The Cosby Show — Lili Bernard and Eden Tirl — are among the plaintiffs, reports ABC News. The other women listed include Jewel Gittens, Jennifer Thompson and Cindra Ladd.

The lawsuit accuses Cosby of assault, battery, infliction of emotional distress and false imprisonment. The lawsuit also names NBC, the show’s production company and where The Cosby Show was filmed, as well as Universal Media and Kaufman Astoria Studios for their apparent failure to protect the women.


Click to play video: 'Bill Cosby says he’ll never show remorse to please parole board'


Bill Cosby says he’ll never show remorse to please parole board

Advertisement


The five plaintiffs say Cosby, 85, took advantage of them several decades ago because they were young and vulnerable.

Story continues below advertisement

The lawsuit, filed in Manhattan Supreme Court, said four of the women were allegedly abused in the late ’80s and early ’90s.

Advertisement

“Each plaintiff was sexually assaulted and battered by defendant Bill Cosby in the same or similar manner when he used his power, fame, and prestige, including the power, fame and prestige given to him by (the) defendants … to misuse his enormous power in such a nefarious, horrific way,” the suit states.

Read more:

Passenger who fell from cruise ship treaded water for 20 hours to survive

Bernard, who played the role of Mrs. Minifield on The Cosby Show, said Cosby drugged and raped her on two occasions in 1990 and 1991.

Tirl, who played a small role as a police officer on the show in 1989, alleges that Cosby inappropriately touched her without consent while in a dressing room.

Two of the other women, Gittens and Ladd, allege that they were drugged and raped by Cosby. Thompson alleges Cosby touched her inappropriately without her consent when she was 18.

Read more:

Elon Musk’s Neuralink killed 1,000+ animals during rushed brain chip experiments: investigation

Cosby has denied the allegations through a statement from his representatives.

Advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

“Mr. Cosby continues to vehemently deny all allegations waged against him and looks forward to defending himself in court.”

Cosby has faced dozens of similar accusations in recent years, with more than 50 women coming forward in 2014 and 2015 to say that they had been assaulted by the now-disgraced television star.

His 2018 trial marked the first major trial of the #MeToo movement. He was convicted of the sexual assault of Andrea Constand at the time and was sentenced to three to 10 years in prison. However, he was released in 2021 when the Pennsylvania Supreme Court overturned his conviction, saying his due process rights were violated.


FILE – This June 30, 2021, file photo shows Bill Cosby gesturing outside his home in Elkins Park, Pa., after being released from prison.


Matt Rourke / The Associated Press

Earlier this year, jurors at a civil trial found that Cosby sexually abused a 16-year-old girl at the Playboy Mansion in 1975.

Story continues below advertisement

The Los Angeles County jury delivered the verdict in favor of Judy Huth, who is now 64, and awarded her $500,000.

Advertisement

&copy 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Advertisement

Entertainment

Bail set for ‘Dances With Wolves’ actor as police in Canada apply for more charges | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

20230208160220-63e41258e56bdaccb77691f0jpeg-1.jpg


Bail has been set at $300,000 for a former actor in the movie “Dances With Wolves” who is facing eight sex-related charges in Nevada as police in Canada say more complainants there have come forward.


Information from the North Las Vegas Court website says if Nathan Chasing Horse can post bail, he could be released on house arrest and would be electronically monitored. He cannot have contact with the complainants or any minors.

Under Nevada law, Chasing Horse would have to pay 15 per cent of the bail — about $45,000.

Read more:

Tsuut’ina police file arrest warrant for ‘Dances with Wolves’ actor Chasing Horse

Advertisement

Read next:

Battery pack erupts in flames on United flight to N.J., 4 people hospitalized

The 46-year-old actor, who played young Sioux character Smiles a Lot in Kevin Costner’s 1990 Oscar-winning film, was formally charged Monday in North Las Vegas with counts including sex trafficking, sexual assault against a child younger than 16 and child abuse.

Story continues below advertisement

Court documents said he was the leader of a cult-like group called “The Circle.”

“Nathan Chasing Horse, by portraying himself as a ‘Holy Man’ or ‘Medicine Man’, has gained the trust of Indigenous families and their children,” an arrest report filed in the U.S. said. “Upon earning this trust, Nathan Chasing Horse used his position to lure vulnerable young girls, often giving them a sense of belonging, to commit sexual assault.”

Advertisement

Click to play video: '‘Dances with Wolves’ actor facing multiple U.S. charges now accused of sexual assault in Keremeos'


‘Dances with Wolves’ actor facing multiple U.S. charges now accused of sexual assault in Keremeos


Chasing Horse is also facing a charge of sexual assault in British Columbia for allegations in the southern Interior village of Keremeos in September 2018.

The U.S. arrest report alleges the British Columbia woman was 13 years old when she met Chasing Horse while he was performing ceremonies in the province.

Advertisement

Her family sent her to stay with the actor because she was sick and soon she began travelling with him to ceremonies, the report said. She alleges he began to have sex with her when she was 17.

Story continues below advertisement

In 2018, after they ended the relationship, she alleges he sexually assaulted her while he was in Canada for a show put on by the Lower Similkameen Indian Band.

Read more:

Bail hearing postponed for ‘Dances With Wolves’ actor in sex abuse case

Read next:

2 kids killed, man charged with murder after bus crashes into Montreal-area daycare

Advertisement

The woman reported it to authorities and RCMP contacted Las Vegas police, which prompted the investigation that led to his arrest.

Police in Alberta said they are also in the process of applying for two warrants for formal charges against Chasing Horse in that province.

Sgt. Nancy Farmer with the Tsuut’ina police, which serves the First Nation west of Calgary, said even more charges could be coming.


Click to play video: 'Tsuut’ina Police filing arrest warrant for ‘Dances with Wolves’ actor'


Tsuut’ina Police filing arrest warrant for ‘Dances with Wolves’ actor

Advertisement


“We have received several Crime Stoppers tips,” Farmer said Wednesday.

Story continues below advertisement

“We’ve spoken to several victims and several witnesses have come forward in relation to the actions of Mr. Chasing Horse.”

Advertisement

U.S. arrest documents detailed how the Alberta police service received a complaint earlier this year from a woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted as a 15-year-old and taken to the United States as one of Chasing Horse’s multiple wives.

The woman said she also met Chasing Horse when he came to her community to do ceremonies. Documents say Chasing Horse allegedly had sex with the teenager multiple times while she was still in Canada.

Read more:

‘Dances with Wolves’ actor arrested, accused of running sex cult, abusing young girls

Read next:

Prince Harry, Meghan to be deposed in Samantha Markle’s defamation lawsuit, judge says

In 2009, she flew to the U.S. and, not long after when she was 17 years old, he gave her a ring.

Advertisement

“He said it was like a promise ring and I think that was his way of marrying me,” the woman said in the court documents.

That woman eventually returned to Canada because she could no longer take the physical and emotional abuse, the documents said.

The report alleges that Chasing Horse made his wives have sex with other men and take “phoenix tears,” a highly concentrated form of cannabis.

Story continues below advertisement

Click to play video: '‘Dances with Wolves’ actor arrested, accused of running sex cult, abusing young girls'


‘Dances with Wolves’ actor arrested, accused of running sex cult, abusing young girls

Advertisement


The documents detail how Chasing Horse had all his wives get spider tattoos to represent Iktomi, a trickster spirit in Lakota culture, and a tattoo of his traditional name.

The women were taught to use firearms and, court documents allege, he told the wives about “suicide pills” they’d have to take if he were apprehended by police or died.

Police in the United States said they have identified at least six victims, including one who said she was offered to Chasing Horse as a “gift” when she was 15.

Advertisement

Chasing Horse had already been banned from Fort Peck Indian Reservation in Montana on the grounds of human trafficking in 2015. The same year, the Tsuut’ina band council passed a resolution banning him from all community events in the Alberta community.

Story continues below advertisement

Last week, the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, which represents 74 First Nations in Saskatchewan, also banned Chasing Horse.

–with files from Colette Derworiz in Calgary and The Associated Press

Advertisement

&copy 2023 The Canadian Press





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Netflix Canada begins its password-sharing crackdown. Here’s what to know – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

20230208130212-63e3e6b608838e7acf63bdedjpeg-2.jpg


Netflix has announced a set of new features to be rolled out in Canada and other countries to help clear the confusion about when and how a member can share their account access with others.


The new features are aimed to give members “greater control over who can access their account,” Netflix said in a statement Wednesday.

“A Netflix account is intended for one household and members can choose from a range of plans with different features,” the company said. One of these features will allow members to set a primary location ensuring that anyone who lives in their household can use their Netflix account, they added.

There will also be another feature that will allow members the ability to manage who has access to their account from the company’s new Manage Access and Devices page.

Story continues below advertisement

Netflix said the new features will be rolled out more broadly in the coming months, starting Wednesday in Canada, New Zealand, Portugal and Spain.

More to come…

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Christina Applegate hints at retiring from acting as she battles MS – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

20210810090816-61127c999910ab6d5984852ajpeg.jpg


Christina Applegate revealed that she may not be returning to set in the near future as her multiple sclerosis (MS) progresses. The Married with Children alum was diagnosed with the chronic autoimmune disease back in 2021.


In a profile with the Los Angeles Times, Applegate said that the upcoming Screen Actors Guild Awards will be her “last awards show as an actor probably, so it’s kind of a big deal.”

Applegate is nominated for outstanding performance by a female actor in a comedy series for her role as Jen Harding in the dark Netflix show Dead to Me. 

Read more:

Christina Applegate details multiple sclerosis progression: ‘I’m never going to accept this’

Advertisement

Read next:

2 kids killed, man charged with murder after bus crashes into Montreal-area daycare

MS is a degenerative disease that attacks the central nervous system. It can affect vision, memory, balance and mobility and common symptoms include muscle stiffness, vertigo and cognitive impairment. Currently, there is no cure, according to the MS Society of Canada.

Story continues below advertisement

Applegate told the LA Times that she plans to continue working on producing and developing, but acting on-set may be out of the question given her current condition.

“Right now, I couldn’t imagine getting up at 5 a.m. and spending 12 to 14 hours on a set; I don’t have that in me at this moment,” she said, though Applegate does plan on “doing a sh-t ton of voice-overs to make some cash to make sure that my daughter’s fed and we’re homed.”

Advertisement

Applegate previously revealed that she requires a cane to walk.

Applegate revealed her MS diagnosis in August 2021, while shooting Dead to Me’s third and final season. The show had to take a break from shooting after Applegate began to experience “leg pain and tremors,” leading to her diagnosis.

Story continues below advertisement
Advertisement

The actor insisted on returning to finish the season, even as the disease progressed, which proved to be a vulnerable experience.

“I was a wreck every day, but most of that wreck would take place in my trailer by myself,” Applegate said. “But there were times I’d break down on set and be like, ‘I can’t, we have to take a break, I need a half-hour,’ and everyone was so loving that it was OK.”

Read more:

Christina Applegate shines in 1st public appearance since MS diagnosis

Read next:

Prince Harry, Meghan to be deposed in Samantha Markle’s defamation lawsuit, judge says

Applegate spoke about how meaningful it was to act alongside co-star and friend Linda Cardellini, who plays Judy Hale in the Netflix comedy, saying that sometimes the “set would disappear.”

Advertisement

“Everyone kind of disappeared, and it was the two of us as best friends, supporting each other, loving each other and saying goodbye to each other. I’d like to say there was skill involved, but really, Linda and I just disappeared.”

The final season of Dead to Me aired in November 2022, but Applegate said it took her “months” before she was able to watch it.

Read more:

USask research collaboration into MS could hint towards a treatment

Read next:

Netflix Canada begins its password-sharing crackdown. Here’s what to know

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement
“I don’t like seeing myself struggling,” she told the LA Times. “Also, I gained 40 pounds because of inactivity and medications, and I didn’t look like myself, and I didn’t feel like myself.”

“At some point, I was able to distance myself from my own ego and realize what a beautiful piece of television it was. All the scenes I wasn’t in were so much fun to see and experience for the very first time,” she added.

Canada has one of the highest rates of MS in the world, with an estimated 90,000 Canadians living with the disease, according to the MS Society. About 12 Canadians are diagnosed with MS every day.

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending