Connect with us

Entertainment

2023 SAG Awards winners: Brendan Fraser, Ke Huy Quan earn more hardware – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

Untitled-design-88.jpg


Advertisement
The unlikely awards season juggernaut Everything Everywhere All at Once marched on at the Screen Actors Guild Awards on Sunday, and even gathered steam with wins not just for best ensemble, Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan but also for Jamie Lee Curtis.


The SAG Awards, often an Oscar preview, threw some curve balls into the Oscars race in a ceremony streamed live on Netflix’s YouTube page from Fairmont Century Plaza in Los Angeles.

But the clearest result of the SAG Awards was the overwhelming success of Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert’s madcap multiverse tale, which has now used its hotdog fingers to snag top honours from the acting, directing and producing guilds. Only one film (Apollo 13) had won all three and not gone on to win best picture at the Oscars.

Advertisement

Read more:

‘Murdaugh Murders’: The harrowing true story of dead family and missing millions

Read next:

Part of the Sun breaks free and forms a strange vortex, baffling scientists

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement

After so much of the cast of Everything Everywhere All at Once had already been on the stage to accept awards, the night’s final moment belonged to 94-year-old James Hong, a supporting player in the film and a trailblazer for Asian American representation in Hollywood. He brought up the ignoble yellowface history of the 1937 film The Good Earth.

Advertisement

“The leading role was played with these guys with their eyes taped up like this and they talked like this because the producers said the Asians were not good enough and they were not box office,” said Hong. “But look at us now!”

Advertisement

Hong added that the cast of Everything Everywhere All at Once wasn’t all Chinese, though he granted Jamie Lee Curtis had a good Chinese name. Curtis’ win was one of the most surprising of the night, coming over the longtime favourite, Angela Bassett (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever), who had seemed to be on a clear path to becoming the first actor to win an Oscar for a performance in a Marvel movie.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

A visibly moved Curtis said she was wearing the wedding ring her father, Tony Curtis, gave her mother, Janet Leigh.

“I know you look at me and think ‘Nepo baby,’” said Curtis, who won in her first SAG nomination. “But the truth of the matter is that I’m 64 years old and this is just amazing.”

Advertisement

The actors guild, though, lent some clarity to the lead categories. Though some have seen best actress as a toss-up between Yeoh and BAFTA winner Cate Blanchett (Tár), Yeoh again took home the award for best female lead performance.

“This is not just for me,” said Yeoh, the first Asian actress to win the SAG Award for female lead. “It’s for every little girl that looks like me.”

Advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Quan, the former child star, also won for best supporting male actor. The Everything Everywhere All at Once co-star had left acting for years after auditions dried up. He’s also the first Asian to win best male supporting actor at the SAG Awards.

“When I stepped away from acting, it was because there were so few opportunities,” said Quan. “Now, tonight we are celebrating James Hong, Michelle Yeoh, Stephanie Hsu, Hong Chau, Harry Shum Jr. The landscape looks so different now.”

Read more:

Brad Paisley drops song feat. Zelenskyy on 1st anniversary of Russian invasion

Read next:

Exclusive: Widow’s 911 call before James Smith Cree Nation murders reveals prior violence

Advertisement

Some online commentators suggested there was irony in Mark Wahlberg, who presented best ensemble, handing out the night’s final award to a film with a predominantly Asian and Asian American cast. In 1988, a 16-year-old Wahlberg attacked two Vietnamese men while trying to steal beer near his home in Dorchester, Massachusetts. Wahlberg, who said race wasn’t a factor in the assault, served 45 days of a two-year sentence. Wahlberg also announced the film Women Talking as “Women Are Talking.”

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement

Best actor has been one of the hardest races to call. Austin Butler (Elvis), Brendan Fraser (The Whale) and Colin Farrell (The Banshees of Inisherin) have all been seen as possible winners. But it was Fraser who went home with the SAG Award for his comeback performance as an obese shut-in in The Whale.

Advertisement

“Believe me, if you just stay in there and put one foot in front of the other, you’ll get where you need to go,” said Fraser, who anxiously eyed the actor-shaped trophy and left the stage saying he was going to go look for some pants for him.

Advertisement

The SAG Awards are considered one of the most reliable Oscar bellwethers. Actors make up the biggest percentage of the film academy, so their choices have the largest sway. Last year, CODA triumphed at SAG before winning best picture at the Oscars, while Ariana DeBose, Will Smith, Jessica Chastain and Troy Kotsur all won at a SAG Award before taking home an Academy Award.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

After the SAG Awards, presented by the film and television acting guild SAG-AFTRA, lost their broadcast home at TNT/TBS, Netflix signed on to stream Sunday’s ceremony. Next year’s show will be on Netflix, proper.

Sunday’s livestream meant a slightly scaled-down vibe. Without a broadcast time limit, winners weren’t played off. A regal and unbothered Sam Elliott, winner for male actor in a TV movie or limited series for 1883, spoke well past his allotted time. The show sped through early winners, including awards for Jean Smart (Hacks), Jeremy Allen White (The Bear) and Jason Bateman (Ozark).

Advertisement

Another streaming effect: No bleeping.

Quinta Brunson and Janelle James of Abbott Elementary kicked off the ceremony with a few opening jokes, including one that suggested Viola Davis, a recent Grammy winner, is beyond EGOT status and has transcended into “ShEGOTallofthem.”

Advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

Brunson later returned to the stage with the cast of Abbott Elementary to accept the SAG award for best ensemble in a comedy series. Brunson, the sitcom’s creator and one of its producers, said of her castmates, “These people bring me back down to Earth.”

Advertisement

Read more:

Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to all charges in ‘Rust’ shooting

Read next:

Google AI chatbot Bard gives wrong answer, sending shares plummeting

Advertisement

The White Lotus also took a victory lap, winning best ensemble in a drama series and another win for Jennifer Coolidge, coming off her wins at the Emmys and the Golden Globes. A teary-eyed Coolidge traced her love of acting to a first-grade trip to see a Charlie Chaplin film. She then thanked her date, a longtime friend, the actor Tim Bagley.

Story continues below advertisement

“You’re a wonderful date tonight,” said Coolidge. “I can’t wait until we get home.”

Advertisement

The ceremony’s first award went to a winner from last year: Jessica Chastain. A year after winning for her lead performance in the film The Eyes of Tammy Faye, Chastain won best female actor in a TV movie or limited series for Showtime’s country music power couple series George & Tammy. Chastain jetted in from previews on the upcoming Broadway revival of A Doll’s House.

One award was announced ahead of the show from the red carpet: Top Gun: Maverick won for best stunt ensemble. Though some have cheered that blockbusters like Maverick and Avatar: The Way of Water are best picture nominees at this year’s Oscars, the indie smash Everything Everywhere All at Once increasingly looks like the biggest blockbuster at this year’s Academy Awards.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement

Advertisement

Entertainment

Bad Bunny sued for $40M by ex-girlfriend over song sample – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

GettyImages-1412405003.jpg


Advertisement
Fans are already familiar with the artist’s breathy tagline, “Bad Bunny, baby” — but the Puerto Rican rapper is now being sued for at least US$40 million by his ex-girlfriend, who claims he used the recording of her voice without permission.


Carliz De La Cruz Hernández said she recorded the audio for Bad Bunny, whose real name is Benito Martínez Ocasio, before he skyrocketed to international fame, as per a new lawsuit filed in a Puerto Rico court. She alleged she invented the phrase.

Read more:

Bruce Willis’ wife shares tearful message about grief on actor’s 68th birthday

Advertisement

The lawsuit, which was first reported by the Puerto Rico news website NotiCel, claimed the unauthorized recording is used in the 29-year-old singer’s songs, Pa Ti from 2017 and Dos Mil 16, which is featured on the Grammy-winning album Un Verano Sin Ti. The tracks have been streamed on Spotify at least 235 million times each.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

As per the lawsuit, De La Cruz claimed her “Bad Bunny, baby” audio has been used for numerous promotions, worldwide concerts, television, radio and social appearances.

Advertisement

Due to her “distinguishable voice,” De La Cruz said she’s been barraged with messages and comments about the unauthorized recording.

“Since then, thousands of people have commented directly on Carliz’s social media networks, as well as every time she goes to a public place, about the ‘Bad Bunny, baby.’ This has caused, and currently causes, that De La Cruz feels worried, anguished, intimidated, overwhelmed and anxious,” reads the lawsuit.

Advertisement

Read more:

Rupert Murdoch, 92, to marry for the 5th time: ‘I knew this would be my last’

Story continues below advertisement
Advertisement

De La Cruz is also suing Martínez’s manager, Noah Kamil Assad Byrne.

Neither Martínez nor Assad has commented publicly on the lawsuit.

Advertisement

In the legal filing, De La Cruz claimed a representative for the reggaetón singer contacted her in May 2022, shortly before Un Verano Sin Ti was released. She said the representative offered her $2,000 for the voice recording. At this point, the “Bad Bunny, baby,” audio had already been used in 2017’s Pa Ti. 

Advertisement

De La Cruz allegedly declined the payment on the grounds that she was apparently not comfortable with her voice being featured. She said the song was published anyway without her consent.

“Since de la Cruz made it clear that she did not consent to its use, its publication constituted an act of gross negligence, bad faith, and, worse still, an attack on their privacy, morals, and dignity since all parties had and still have knowledge of these facts and even so decided to be reckless and break the law,” the filing reads.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

Read more:

Gwyneth Paltrow to take the stand in $300K ski crash lawsuit 

The lawsuit outlines the relationship between De La Cruz and Martínez, who apparently started dating in 2011, before he was signed to the label Rimas Entertainment. At the time, De La Cruz claimed she was responsible for managing her artist boyfriend’s invoices, contracts and scheduling.

Advertisement

She said she recorded the “Bad Bunny, baby” audio in the bathroom of a party in 2015, as it was the quietest room available at the time.

The pair ended their relationship in 2017, a year after Martínez asked to marry De La Cruz.

Advertisement

In February, Martínez won a Grammy for Best Música Urbana Album for Un Verano Sin Ti. The album was also nominated for the coveted Album of the Year award but lost out to Harry’s House by Harry Styles.


Click to play video: 'Grammys 2023: Ontario grandma and Harry Styles superfan steals the show'


Grammys 2023: Ontario grandma and Harry Styles superfan steals the show

Advertisement


Advertisement

With files from The Associated Press 

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Gwyneth Paltrow to take the stand in $300K ski crash lawsuit  – National | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

GettyImages-1197778966.jpg


Advertisement

Advertisement
Actor and entrepreneur Gwyneth Paltrow will appear in court next week to testify in a civil case filed by a retired optometrist claiming she caused him serious injury in a 2016 ski accident, as per numerous reports.


Terry Sanderson has accused Paltrow, 50, of negligence and is suing for US$300,000 (about $410,000). He alleged the Goop founder collided with him while skiing at Deer Valley Resort in Park City, Utah, “knocking him down hard, knocking him out.”

Read more:

Gwyneth Paltrow faces backlash over her restrictive food habits: ‘It’s not wellness’

Advertisement

In the complaint filed in 2019, Sanderson, 76, said the accident left him with “permanent traumatic brain injury, 4 broken ribs, pain, suffering, loss of enjoyment of life.” He maintains that Paltrow left him collapsed on the slope and skied away.

Story continues below advertisement

Advertisement

In a counterclaim, Paltrow said Sanderson skied into her in a “full body hit,” giving her minor injuries that prevented her from skiing the next day. She claims he apologized to her after the accident.

Advertisement

Paltrow said she only left the scene of the accident after a Deer Valley Resort employee gave confirmation she could depart.

She also alleged Sanderson has said before that he does not have a clear memory of the accident.

Advertisement

In 2019, Sanderson classified the accident as a hit-and-run but that was later struck down by a judge. Any mention of incidences after the collision — including an allegation from Sanderson that a resort employee who did not witness the crash skied off and accused Sanderson of being responsible for the accident — were also disallowed.


Click to play video: 'Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘The Goop Lab’: Fact-checking the health claims'


Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘The Goop Lab’: Fact-checking the health claims


Advertisement

Read more:

Bruce Willis’ wife shares tearful message about grief on actor’s 68th birthday

Advertisement
Story continues below advertisement

Sanderson’s original lawsuit sought $3.1 million in damages.

Advertisement

In her counterclaim, Paltrow is seeking only $1 in damages (a symbolic gesture), and capital for her lawyer’s fees.

The trial is set to begin on March 21 in Utah. To win the civil suit, Sanderson must demonstrate the burden of proof and prove his injuries were directly caused by the ski collision.

Advertisement

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.





Source link

Advertisement

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Fans petition for Pedro Pascal to be 2023 Calgary Stampede parade marshal | Globalnews.ca

Published

on

By

20230314090312-641072acb853773905e4a486jpeg.jpg


Advertisement

Advertisement
An online petition is hoping to see one of the stars of The Last of Us named the 2023 Calgary Stampede parade marshal.


A Change.org petition wants Pedro Pascal, who plays Joel in the TV show, to lead the charge.

The parade marshal is usually announced at the end of May or early June.

Advertisement

Read more:

‘The Last of Us’: All the Alberta locations that got a dramatic makeover

Pascal spent time in Calgary and across the province filming the hit Crave series, including the Alberta legislature, the Bow River, the Ranchland Inn in Nanton, the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), Canmore Engine Bridge and Waterton Lakes National Park.

Advertisement

Click to play video: 'Travel Alberta sharing The Last of Us locations online'


Travel Alberta sharing The Last of Us locations online


Advertisement

In fact, in episode 1, When You’re Lost in the Darkness, Calgary’s downtown is used as a stand-in for Boston, and a specially designed set situated in the industrial area behind the Calgary Stampede grounds serves at the show’s Boston Quarantine Zone (QZ.)

Advertisement

Story continues below advertisement

Pascal has also spoken about his love for Alberta, like exploring the mountains and seeing the northern lights.

Advertisement

Click to play video: '‘The Last of Us’ premiere draws excitement, momentum for Alberta film industry'


‘The Last of Us’ premiere draws excitement, momentum for Alberta film industry


Advertisement

As of 8 a.m. Monday, March 20, the petition had about 4,700 names.

Advertisement

Read more:

Academy Award winning actor Kevin Costner named 2022 Calgary Stampede parade marshal

Advertisement

Actor Kevin Costner was parade marshal in 2022.


Click to play video: 'Calgary Heritage Buildings featured in HBO’s The Last of Us'


Calgary Heritage Buildings featured in HBO’s The Last of Us

Advertisement


Advertisement

 

&copy 2023 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Advertisement





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending